Node minutes 20170616

From TERN Landscape Assessment Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

AusCover meeting Friday 16 June 10am for Sydney, Canberra. and Melbourne, 8.30am for Darwin, 9am for brisbane, and 9.30 for Adelaide.

Please dial 1800556264 the following pin: 3933652#.

Present Kasper, Bek, Ken, Alfredo, Lola, Mariela, Stuart, Bec

Apologies Arko, Matt, Alex,

MEETING UPDATE AND AGENDA


1. Overall TERN update and links to AusCover, including central funding update and node funding discussion requirements

NCRIS Funding Guidelines for 2017-2019 have been released, Alex distributed last week (TERN will receive roughly same annual allocation as for the last couple of years, with indexation added) TERN Advisory Board meets next week (9 June) and after this we will know more about priorities and funding allocations within TERN for the next 12 months As part of the new NCRIS funding agreements, Annual Business Plans are due by 30 June so we can expect a busy couple of weeks up until then to pull Facility-level plans together and then collate the TERN overall plan


2. Update from each node on current activities, including image and field data collection (to be completed by each node prior to meeting)

UPDATES FROM NODES SHOULD INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WHERE POSSIBLE:

  • AusCover node data processing and delivery
  • Updates on research links and how data are being used + website and portal items
  • Training/ Preparation to use AusCover data
  • Future joint projects


Queensland

  • Had 2-Day Annual Joint Remote Sensing Research Project meeting
  • Planning field day to check horizontal and vertical absolute accuracy of AeroPoints against survey points
  • Sentinel statewide seasonal mosaics pushed and image mosaics being produced
  • grass biomass odk form processing developed and images saved on filestore, will be transferred with next push to server
  • new auscover odk server implemented with Enketo integration


Sydney (Huete)

  • Attended inaugural AusPollen workshop in Brisbane 2 weeks ago
  • Completing work on urban green space & phenology for HIA
  • Joined in large proposal in which we will set up phenocam network over Victoria pastures
  • Working jointly with Ian Grant, BOM, to generate daily EVI/NDVI from Himawari-8 data
  • Working with Tony Milne to host IEEE 'Pole to Pole' climate meeting prior to IEEE Bright Futures Symposium
  • Rakhesh Devadas is now working at ABARES
  • working on Greenbook updating


GA


Canberra


Data and Systems


Melbourne


Adelaide

  • GEOSS ecosystem mapping
    • Biotic environmental variables (Biogeographic region and isobioclimates) done, just need to hash to raster and finish methods documentation)
    • Abiotic environmental variables
      • Surficial materials lithology - after discussion with John Wilford, backpedaling and returning to using all lithology classes from GA 1:1M surface geology mapping; if i have time will combine with John wilfords weathering index, to capture the combined importance of parent material and degree of weathering.
      • Land surface forms; done, just need to hash to raster and finish methods documentation)
      • Topographic moisture potential; just need to incorporate 'prone to inundation' areas from WOfS reclassification; then assign hash values and finish methods documentation)
    • Then combine biotic and abiotic and NVIS, generate hash field descriptions, link to raster, host workshop, document, and upload to geowiki
  • DEWNR/BHP mound spring wetland area
    • Landsat scale - long term annual, and average seasonal greenness pattern - extract from the AGDC done, thanks to Peter!!!
    • MODIS scale - done, run through BFAST algorithm
    • High-res satellite imagery scale (2m); done, strong relationship between measured spring flow and imagery-measured wetland extent
    • BHP and DEWNR happy with progress, excited about research
  • Meeting with director Science, Monitoring and Knowledge (DEWNR) in two weeks to discuss partnership / how to help them better take advantage of EO
    • This has been a long time comming, and the result of past projects, and ongoing networking/discussion
  • Burnt area mapping
    • report finally being finalised (sorry, teaching got in the way); DEWNR and CFS very appreciative of the method/product
    • CFS particularly appreciated the fact that the raster product documented burnt and un-burnt areas more thoroughly than the previous vector digitising; and captured degre of vegetation loss
    • CFS feel that this product could better enable them to understand future burn risk, for palnning controlled burns, or managin risk in new burns
    • Still, i doubt DEWNR / CFS will adopt this method, without additional support and prompting (due to lack of staff time, and will to impolement new methods); but we will try to keep an open line of communication with the relevant staff
  • Question:
    • Is the ANAE (Interim Australian National Aquatic Ecosystem) wetland classification available?


Hobart


Darwin (Stefan Maier)


3. Upcoming AusCover workshops – timing, roles and responsibilities


4. Discussion Items:

  • New product pages


ACTION ITEMS:

  • Organise face-to-face AusCover meeting to discuss the future of AusCover and streamline long-term activities - Maybe at UAS4RS Conference in Hobart - to be sorted out over the next few weeks. Need to find out who is already going to the conference.
  • Strategic phone meetings on the future of AusCover